Thursday, September 10, 2015

The Past Two Weeks

8.30.15
I don't quite understand how people function here on a normal, daily basis! It is just ridiculously hot! I made a video and I intended to post it on here but apparently the file is too big. So that's unfortunate, because in it you would have seen awesome beads of sweat just dripping down my face. Constantly, that's what happens. I don't think I've ever been more physically uncomfortable in my life! But what can ya do? Eventually I'll get used to it.

So day one, we did practically nothing all day long. It was weird how it turned out because we were supposed to be doing all sorts of stuff but then we didn't. Idk. I woke up around 8 or so maybe and then we were going to go the supermarket at 10 but it took us forever to get going. We have native coordinators here that help us out a lot. They came and inspected our apartments to make sure we had everything we were supposed to. That took a while. So we got a late start getting to the market. The second you walk through those doors though, actually, before you even make it to the doors of the market you can smell the most pungent stench. It made one of my friends from my group cough a ton. It was pretty bad. Now I've kind of gotten over it. It still smells bad but at least I can prepare myself for it!

The next day we went into town to a place called Walking Street. It is a pretty neat place! There are tons of shops and stores to go in to and lots of people out on the streets selling their crafts. Some of the stuff is really neat! They have these really cool bikes made out of colored wires that were really fascinating. I think I'll go back and get a couple as souvenirs. While we were out at walking street we also went to a KTV place. For those of you who don't know (like I didn't) it's a karaoke place! They call it KTV. We went in and it's not just a big room with a mic in the front that everyone goes into. We got our own private room for our group with a big tv on the wall to project the song/music video. Basically all of us just screamed the songs together so it wasn't really karaoke but it kinda was. Two people had mics and they got up to sing but everyone else sang along. It was a lot of fun!

Also, while we were walking around Walking Street we got caught in a downpour! It's so interesting, when it rains here it dumps for maybe 20 minutes and then it's over. It might sprinkle again or it could dump again but it's usually pretty spread out. It's nice because then we can still walk around and just wait it out if it's bad. We found a really gorgeous place on one of the side streets. There are these stairs that lead up into what looks like a jungle, (which is all of China actually. It's SOOO green here!) Once you get to the first landing there's more steps leading straight or you can go to the left up a few smaller steps. We went to the left and saw the most gorgeous view of the city from an overlook. There was a circular archway that led to the overlook that was very unique to China. It really made me feel like I was somewhere foreign...which I am.

9.10.15
I've now spent two weeks here in China and it still blows my mind that I am here. It almost doesn't phase me since I have my big group that I'm with and we all speak English to each other. And when we teach we teach in English. I'm pretty much used to seeing only Chinese people now. When I see Americans or white people that aren't in our group it's an oddity and it makes my heart leap a little. I just want to talk to them and see how their experience in China is! It's funny. I haven't felt homesick or anything which is great, except when it comes to food...but we'll get to that later.
Clockwise: Lang, Dora and CiCi

We have started teaching and the kids are so adorable. Sometimes while I'm teaching I don't think that because they can be little terrors and behave badly, but for the most part they are just so stinking cute! They call me Teacher Alyssa. :) It makes my heart melt! Especially when I see them outside of class and they get so excited to see me and they call out my name! It's adorable and heartwarming!
Pic on the right clockwise: Lang(pronounced long), Dora and CiCi
Pic below: Odin,
Easily 4 of my favorite kids!
Pirate Odin! 

Teaching is interesting because I really just feel like I'm yelling all day. Well, all morning. We only teach for 2 and a half-ish hours each day, from 8:40-11:20. I'm teaching Kindergarten, the 4-6 year olds. We call it Kindy for short. Each class has 7-8 students in it. We don't have separate classrooms for each class, we just use one big room for 3 classes and sit on opposite sides of it. It makes it difficult for some of the lessons because the kids in one group will get distracted by the kids in the other group. And if the other group is being loud it makes it hard for you to hear your students and it all just feels loud all the time! I'm almost hoarse by the end of each day. But it's ok. The kids are cute and we make it work. When they smile and laugh and think you're the greatest thing since sliced bread, it makes everything else ok! It especially makes the awful cafeteria food worth it!

Now, back to the food. Oh there's so much I could say about our cafeteria food. Pretty sure my insides are all sorts of messed up because my body can't process all the freaking rice and oils I'm eating!!! AH! The rice really isn't the worst thing. It's actually the only real staple I have....in every meal. I am seriously lacking on the protein though. Anytime they have meat you're lucky if you get enough of it that doesn't have bones. They just cook everything, bones and all! Then you get to play "find the meat". Or it simply all looks sketchy so you'd rather not try. Or it's dark meat and we all know I'm just not a fan of that. They serve shrimp that still looks like real shrimp and you have to peel it, vein and all. I don't like seafood anyway but if I did and I had to peel all that off I don't think I could do it. The side dishes they have are all drenched in oils. It's as if they don't know how to steam a vegetable! That's all I want is just a steamed veggie. Not an oil drenched, soupy veggie. With all that being said, I am grateful I at least have food. I could go out to eat every night for dinner but that's just a poor choice for the wallet. Even if the american dollar is equivalent to 6 Yuan, it still goes fast. On the plus side, I'm really good with chopsticks now! :) I thought it would be hard to eat with them, and it can be depending on the food, but for the most part I can eat almost anything with them. Even slippery noodles. PRO!!

Sorry this is a long post, I just haven't updated in a while. There will be another lengthy post soon about our 4 day trip to Yangshuo last weekend! It was so amazing! Definitely a MUST SEE place!

Until then! Love, hugs and smiles! :)
Oh, also, I'm learning Kung Fu! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment